Fundraising is the life-blood of charitable organizations, yet little thought goes into a fundraising activity or event up-front. Digital campaigns, special events, gaming, and social media have substantially replaced traditional marketing efforts. If events are not appropriately structured, TEOs (tax-exempt organizations) can be subject to UBIT on income raised.
Fundraising and soliciting are subject to the additional burdens of state, and sometimes city and county regulations as well. Legal practitioners and organization leaders have the opportunity and obligation to inform the charity of its compliance and reporting obligations when the organization initially considers a new idea to raise money. Equally important is understanding how nonprofits can talk about their collaborations with companies and others without advertising for these sponsors (and therefore incurring UBIT)
- Must every charity register to solicit funds from the public?
- How do online donations fit into the picture?
- Get answers to your questions directly from a nonprofit compliance expert
- Learn tactics for avoiding common pitfalls and penalties
- Explore solutions to one of the most common challenges facing nonprofits today
Join Warren Harmon at Harbor Compliance for answers to these questions and more. Designed for nonprofits, CPAs, attorneys, and other professionals with nonprofit clients, this 60 minute webinar provides a user-friendly, comprehensive overview of fundraising registration requirements in all 50 states. Participants will have the opportunity to get answers to your questions from a nonprofit compliance expert, learn tactics for avoiding common pitfalls and penalties, and explore solutions to the one of the most common challenges facing nonprofits today.
This webinar will take a fresh look at compliance and reporting issues related to contributions received by tax-exempt organizations (TEOs). The panel will explain the caveats and responsibilities of modern nonprofit fundraising, including federal and state compliance issues associated with charitable sales promotions, raffles, and other prize promotions, and avoiding or minimizing UBIT in connection with these campaigns.Learning Objectives:
- Understand regulatory requirements for nonprofit organizations.
- Learn about the top regulatory pitfalls in nonprofit fundraising.
- Understand how online donations affect nonprofit fundraising registration requirements.
- Determine regulatory requirements for nonprofit organizations.
- Come away with best practices for nonprofit fundraising to achieve total compliance.